The Clinch River Valley Initiative (CRVI) is a pioneering effort to build local economies in the coalfields of Southwest Virginia, focusing on the Clinch River Valley—one of the most biodiverse river systems in North America. Working at a watershed scale with several local partners, this grassroots effort has developed significant support and momentum throughout the region. Utilizing a consensus-based approach, project partners have developed goals for connecting downtown revitalization, outdoor recreation, creating a state park, enhancing water quality, entrepreneurship and environmental education along the Clinch River. Strategies are being identified to connect downtown revitalization with outdoor recreation along the Clinch River Valley, and a CRVI Action Plan has been developed (which may be found on the CRVI website: http://www.clinchriverva.com. Additionally, the effort builds upon the unique cultural and ecological assets of the Clinch River to create new possibilities in the communities along the Clinch as distinctive cultural and ecological areas, particularly around environmental education, outdoor recreation and entrepreneurship. Building on a vision for the Clinch River Valley, which may be found below, active action groups are currently implementing actions from the five CRVI goals. CRVI VISION: By 2020, the Clinch River Valley will be a global destination based on its unique biodiversity, natural beauty, cultural attractions and outdoor opportunities. This collaboration will bring measurable economic, environmental and social benefits to the region’s communities while protecting the Clinch’s globally rare species.
- Goal 1: Develop a Clinch River State Park.
- Goal 2: Develop and Integrate Access Points, Trails, and Campgrounds along the Clinch River.
- Goal 3: Enhance Water Quality in the Clinch River.
- Goal 4: Develop and Enhance Environmental Education Opportunities for all Community Members in the Clinch River watershed.
- Goal 5: Connect and Expand Downtown Revitalization, Marketing and Entrepreneurial Development Opportunities in the Clinch River Valley.
Additional information about the effort and how to become involved may be found on the website: http://www.clinchriverva.com.